Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Beloved Friend




Today I'm honoring the gift of friendship embraced by the hug of health. A best friend got good news today.

We were at the Piper Breast Center at Abbott hospital in Minneapolis. Coffee was served in delicate china, water in glassware suitable for a dining room table. We had braced for the possibly of news we didn't want to hear. But in one of those mysteries of the Universe, today was a good news day!

Suddenly this gray, misty day, devoid of color in mid-March, turned into a beautiful day.
We rejoiced at joggers and dogs walking owners. Runners' ponytails swung back and forth as we watched women 'round the corners of the paved paths at the shores of the lakes. We became impatient with drivers who didn't want to drive 15 miles an hour. What's wrong with you? It's a joyous day! What's your hurry?

When you're nearing the time that you've been advised to laminate your medicare card, life seems a bit up in the air. But when joy comes: you breathe it in and dance!

Here are words in honor of those friends we cherish
--whose walk we share.

I Would Set to Wailing

If anything were to happen to you,
O friend, I couldn't bear it;
And lo, I would set to wailing--
Until you were well!

Connie Nelson Ahlberg - All Rights Reserved

Beloved Friend

My open window in the winter;
My robin in the spring;
My summer aria;
My fall colors;
My restoration in winter's white;

You are my circle;
Each year I season
With you:
A darling:
As indispensable as breath.

Connie Nelson Ahlberg - All Rights Reserved

Dear friend, your good news becomes--my smile of joy.

1 comment:

  1. Some of my favorite poems of yours, Connie! I am happy to see you have a blog now! Susan Greer (galaxygirl@usfamily.net)

    ReplyDelete