Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Nobility of Heart

The North rose window
Cathedral of Notre-Dame de Chartes
Chartes, France 2002

You should remember that although another may have more money, beauty, and brains than you, yet when it comes to the rarer spiritual values such as charity, self-sacrifice, honor, nobility of heart, you have an equal chance with everyone to be the most beloved and honored of all people. -Archibald Rutledge

In 1965 I was given a book by beloved friends I've cherished ever since I received it. Popular at the time, The Treasure Chest, has lifted me with it's quotes on character, brotherhood, and faith. 

But the quote by Archibald Rutledge may be one of the top quotes for me in the entire book of inspiritional thought. 

It holds the concept of an ideal of spiritual achievement forever open to all spiritual paths and followers. I put it on like a cloak. Yet one has to make it your own.

Life purpose has it's summation in but three and one half lines. The longer I wear this garment, the truer the fabric. It's never dimished. 

Every Faith has it's path of attainment. The mystic moves and breaths in all parts of the world. The person drawn to these words knows at one's core that material weath is never spiritual weath, and can even deter you from the finer qualities of character. 

Now it is the New Year. I gather my books around me like gold bars. And the Treasure Chest holding Archibald Rutledge's words offers a satin coat worn by illuminary souls and those like me, hoping to grow--into it.


No comments:

Post a Comment